How I found out I had PCOS - Signs, Symptoms , Diagnosis

First, let me just thank each and everyone of you who took time to read and share my recent Facebook post. It’s comforting knowing that I am not alone in this struggle, but it also makes me sad for my fellow PCOS women.

After receiving all your comments and private messages, I realized the greater need of awareness regarding this matter. Because really, why we weren’t talking about PCOS since before? Why aren’t people so concerned about it? Was it because it only affects women? A lot of women go through this but it’s not being told.



I prayed and asked God if I should continue writing. And He answered me through my devotion this morning.






I got teary eyed after reading it. Maybe this is God’s way of telling me that through writing I can share His goodness. That in Him alone is our hope!


Btw, I’m Judy Saril, 24 yrs old and was born and raised in Rodriguez, Rizal. I got married this year, month of May. 
I was a courtside reporter in the UAAP and PVL games and I also appeared on some teleseryes. I also did some commercials in the past. I love being in front of the camera. That’s my passion. And maybe you can imagine how devastated I am when I had to let go all of that because of PCOS.












What should you know about PCOS
PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome affects 1 in 10 women of child bearing age. It is caused by an imbalance of reproductive hormones. 


You have PCOS if you exhibit 2 or more of the following symptoms
1. Cysts on the ovaries
3. Irregular or absence of menstruation
4. Pelvic pain
5. High level of androgens
-Cystic acne
-Male pattern balding
-Excess hair growth on face and body
-Dandruff
5. Obesity
6. Fatigue
7. Poor sleep
8. Anxiety and Depression
9. Insulin resistance (which can lead to diabetes)
10. Infertility 


Is PCOS curable? Sadly, there is no cure yet, but it is possible to reverse it!


My diagnosis

I have irregular periods since I was young. In a year, I’ll get 4-5 periods only. And those will take almost two weeks to finish. But I never experienced dysmenorrhea or any PMS symptoms. No acne, weight gain, etc. That’s why during my teenage years, I did not bother to have myself checked because I thought I was in my best shape.
But one night, I felt a severe pelvic pain. My mom and I thought maybe it’s diarrhea. Or maybe ulcer/gutom lang since I don’t eat much at night. She asked me if I wanted to go to the hospital but I told her no muna kasi kaya ko pa tiisin and I wanted to observe it until the next day.
The next day, i still felt a little discomfort. I decided to go to the doctor. The doctor asked me to run a bunch of tests and do some ultrasounds. And I was shocked to discover that I have PCOS with bilateral polycystic ovaries. Words like infertility, cancer, cysts, and other scary terms was mentioned and I left the clinic in tears. I’m 19 yrs old that time and it’s just too much to handle.


I was prescribed to take Diane 35 pills to regulate my period. After a month of taking it I got my period and it became regular since then. Also my skin became a lot better than it used to be. I was really happy on it. I was one of the lucky ones who never needed to switch brands because everything was going great. I took the pills for almost 5yrs. 





Then this year, I went off the pill after my wedding. Nothing immediately changed except my period was missing again. Naisip ko naman baka nag-aadjust lang yung body ko. I went to my new OB, I gave her my past medical records and then she asked me to repeat everything I did from my first checkup. We discovered that I have the same condition. No improvements, etc. The pills helped me regulate my cycle but it was just masking my PCOS symptoms. 


As of now, it’s been 6 months since I stopped the pills and I think you know that I’m currently experiencing more PCOS symptoms than before (cystic acne, facial hair, weight gain, depression and infertility). 


I felt betrayed by my body. And to be honest, I can’t stop blaming myself. If only I was consistent with my checkups before, or if only I wasn’t too reliant on the pills then maybe my condition is a lot better now.


My advise to you is this, listen to your body and recognize the signs. If you think something is wrong, then have yourselves checked by a doctor as early as possible! And please be diligent in monitoring your condition.

Lastly, if you are struggling with PCOS, you don't have to be ashamed! Accept yourself and always practice self love. Because when you do that, healing is possible. Remember that there is hope because you can control your symptoms. Do a lot of reading and research. Talk to people and join online communities to connect with fellow PCOS women. (Btw, I made a Facebook group, feel free to join!) 

The more awareness we can raise, the more we can comfort, uplift and support each other.

In the coming weeks, I plan to share with you more on what I am doing to heal my body. 

Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions or even your own story on any of my future posts. Would love to learn and start healthy conversations with all of you!

Love and prayers,
Judy

Comments

  1. Nothing is impossible. With prayers, love and courage we will win the battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cyril, I agree! God is with us in this battle ❤️

      Delete
  2. Our God is a faithful god, Judy! Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to this! A lot of my friends get familiar with these terms and it's good to know you're sharing your part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about your condition. I've been following you since your UAAP days, and it really wasn't noticeable then that you were facing such a difficult health condition. It's times like these that makes life difficult, but life is also a matter of making choices. From the looks of it, you choose to give life more meaning even when faced with such a difficult condition to bear. And I guess, that's what matters. I'm sure, everything will be fine in the end.

    Cheers, Ms. Judy.

    ~ J.E.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you can easily cure your ovaries infection with best PCOS treatment in India. Consult with expert gynecologist to resolve your reproductive health issue.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts