WEDDING FILM and 5 Things I Learned from a Year of Marriage

It’s hard to believe it’s been a year! I still remember it like yesterday.

We walked down the aisle, recite our vows said “I do,” and posed for that perfect wedding photo.


And then shortly after the wedding, many people kept on asking how married life is treating us. Believe me, it’s not an easy question to answer.

First few weeks of marriage we both felt nothing much have changed.

But as time passed, we both agree that being married feels way different from dating!

Believe me when I say that our parents were right! That marriage is no joke!!!


So after a year of marriage this is what I’ve learned so far

1. Marriage is hard


I hate to say that but it’s true. When you throw two people together and add money, home, bills, jobs, pregnancy, families and other real life matters, things sometimes boil over! Sharing a life with another human is beautiful, but some days are harder than others.

Sometimes Mark and I still asks ourselves, how do people stay married? Because every single day is a choice to stay or not to stay married!

Marriage is indeed hard just like anything worthwhile in life. 


2. Personal adjustments





Going from ME to WE, proved to be more difficult than Mark and I had imagined. On our case, we moved to the province and left our old life and jobs in Manila.

You see, Mark and I were so passionate about our old jobs! But we needed to sacrifice it so we can focus on Mark’s business and earn better for our future. #ADULTING

To be honest, it was me who’s having a really hard time adjusting. Everything just happened way too fast after the wedding. In one click, I gave up the job I love the most then I was in a completely different place and environment with no friends and family I can turn into. It was really hard for me. I had moments when I feel like I lost my self already. That I can’t find the balance of still being an independent person while also being a unit with Mark. There were times when Mark and I questioned our decision of getting married this early. There were so many “what if’s”!

But then we realized, all we need is mutual support and encouragement during this adjustment period. It is hard but we will get through this together.

3. Spending OUR money

Am I the only one who’s making an issue about this? I am still not comfortable knowing that our money is all in one account now. Maybe because I am used to working and earning my own money since I was in college.

Now that I am married, I have this feeling of guilt every time I buy my personal needs like my kikay kit or that dress I’ve been eyeing for months. I have this thinking na kailangan ko ba ipaalam lahat sakanya kahit bibili lang naman ako ng napkin ko! HAHA. Cos’ I feel like I’m spending HIS money, or like I’m not allowed to spend money, or shouldn’t.

Well, maybe I’m just overthinking because in fact Mark is really not kuripot! Actually, mas kuripot pa nga ako sakanya! HAHA.

Aside from that Mark and I have completely different money habits and financial expectations. I must admit that I am a budget person. I like sale items, he likes the most expensive ones because he believes that the higher the price the better the quality. So that’s when we argue.

4. Every fight feels like we are on the brink of divorce

Gone are the days when you argue about simple things like postponed dinner dates, late text messages and so on. When you are a married couple, you fight over money, families, beliefs, life goals, or even the unimportant things like picking up clothes, sharing household responsibilities, etc.

We argue A LOT!!! And everyday we have to remind ourselves that this is part of the lifelong commitment we signed up for.

5. We are nothing without God

Last Sunday, Mark and I attended a CCF service and we are in front of an old married couple. They looked like in their 60s-70s already.

The praise and worship started and both of them were dancing and singing their hearts out. Then the song “Beautiful Saviour” by Planet Shakers played.

I saw them both breakdown and cry while worshiping the Lord. Then the wife hugged his husband while his hands were lifted up worshipping.

I was really trying to hold back my tears but I just can’t. I cried like a river! So as Mark.

Then we discovered that the song leader is actually their child.

I whispered to myself, this is God’s promise for every family. That if you believe in Him, you and your household will be saved. (Acts 16:31)


That exact moment was what marriage and heaven looks like.

You see, I don’t know how many and what kind of trials that couple had faced throughout their marriage but one thing is evident, and that is the Lord in their lives.


My prayer is for Mark and I to continue our ongoing work towards a healthy, Christ-centered marriage. That the Lord hold us together through trials and storms. 

That in His time, He will bless us with babies! Claiming it!!! :)


So to my husband, Happy 1st Wedding Anniversary! It’s been a life-changing 365 days with you!

They say that the fist year of marriage is the hardest so I’m so glad we survived! Haha.

I can’t ever imagine you not being in my life and I thank the Lord for joining us together. You are a blessing made just for me.

Here’s to more grueling and blissful times with you. I can’t wait for the lessons ahead! I love you!

Love,
Judy


P.S

I figured it would be the perfect time to share our wedding film by Notion in Motion with you! Watch it below  







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts