I AM PREGNANT!!! | What we did to fight infertility

In God's perfect time.


If you have been following me on my social media accounts, you probably know that Mark and I revealed our pregnancy last February 14, 2019. 

After revealing the good news to the world, many of you have been messaging me to write about the things we did to get pregnant despite having PCOS.

It was not an easy task to write during those time since I was still on my first trimester!

If you have been pregnant or currently pregnant like me, you know the horror of FIRST TRIMESTER!!!

I still can't believe I survived that stage! HAHA!

Now that I am on my second trimester, 17 weeks now to be exact, I have all the energy to finally talk about our pregnancy journey with all of you. 

WHAT WE DID

I wish I can tell you guys that I defeated PCOS but that's a lie. Truth is, I still suffer from it.

But how did we get pregnant then?

With a little help of science and the abundance of God's grace, we were able to conceive.

It is through IVF or In Vitro Fertilization.

The reason why I did not share this during the exact time of the process is just because I want it to keep it private until I get a positive pregnancy. I am a very emotional person and this was a rough process. During those time, I honestly don't want to deal with questions and comments that might add up to the pressure that I was already experiencing. I have to do it for myself. I needed to stay as calm and positive as possible.


OUR IVF JOURNEY

It is no secret that I have been battling infertility for two years already.

If you have read my previous blog posts, you know that we did plenty of workups.

We eventually grew tired of all the workups, medications and failed pregnancy tests.

We were on the brink of giving up until a relative of Mark, an Ob-gyne by profession, introduced us to Kato Reprobiotech Center, an IVF clinic in Makati.



She told us to inquire and give it a try. I was at first very hesitant about it. 

I kept on asking myself, 

"What's wrong with me?" "Am I really that hopeless?"

It hurt my pride that IVF was the only option remaining.

After weeks of contemplating, Mark and I visited the clinic. I was shocked. The clinic was full at 6 o'clock in the morning. Couples of different age groups are lining up to get a consultation slot. Some of them even came from different provinces. At that point I realised that I am definitely not alone in this battle.

We filled up the patient's information sheet and we were given a slot. Both Mark and I did a series of tests and ultrasound to check if our bodies are capable of doing IVF.

Then came the doctor's consultation. Dra. Ong Jao was the assigned doctor for us. She informed me that both of my fallopian tubes are blocked. I was in disbelief! I did HSG before and thought my tubes are in good condition. 

Given the situation, IVF is the best option. 

Overwhelming is an understatement when you had your first visit in the clinic. It was a lot of information thrown over you once you started this journey. 

During IVF the woman’s eggs are removed from the body and fertilized in a lab. Once they’ve started to grow, the embryos are returned to the uterus and hopefully result to conception. 

Sounds simple?

Not really! In order to retrieve eggs, I needed to undergo Minimal "mini" Stimulation that involves medications (pills & injections) to stimulate my ovaries to produce enough eggs for retrieval.

I did daily blood works, ultrasounds and injections that resulted to a good amount of bruises in my tummy. My body was bloated. Anxiety and depression took a toll on my mental health. IVF took over my life. I just can't understand my body anymore. 

Then came the egg retrieval. They injected a probe inside the vagina to check my ovary and follicles. Then they injected a long needle to suck out the fluid with the eggs. It was painless because I was sedated. They retrieved 8 good eggs from me. Thank you Lord!
  
The eggs were given to the clinic's embryologist so they can examine and culture them. We decided to inseminate 5 eggs only then the rest to be frozen for future use. My eggs stayed at the "culturing" stage for 6 days. Then came a call from the clinic.

"All (5) eggs reached blastocyst."

That means we have 5 babies waiting! God is good!!!

Mark and I decided to take a break from the process and resume on 2019.

Then 2019 came!

Now we proceed to embryo transfer preparations. As usual, blood works and ultrasound were done.

Ultrasound result came and sadly they found a fluid on my left fallopian tube (hydrosalphinx).

Another set of pills were given.

On the day of my embryo transfer, hydrosalphinx is still present. So we had to aspirate before the transfer. 

The doctors allowed to me to see the liquid aspirated in my tube and it was a thick blood that is toxic and harmful for the baby incase pregnancy occur after the IVF process.

Then the process of embryo transfer happened, they inserted a catheter with my embryo inside it then they placed it in my uterus. 

The procedure was fast and empowering at the same time. It was an afternoon full of thanksgiving and happiness because finally I am almost done with IVF and at the same time my baby was already in my womb. 



To support implantation of the embryo, I had to take progesterone injections in my butt area.

It took 5 days after we learned the result.


February 2, 2019; how can I forget this date? 




A positive pregnancy.

The day I received God's confirmation that in the end everything will be worth it. 

That He truly designed me to be a mother. 

2 Corinthians 12:9
But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

Psalms 37:4
"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."

I am very blessed. 
Blessed that in my first try with IVF we are successful.
Blessed because of the many people who became our prayer partners in this journey.
Blessed because God's hands has been with us through every step of the way.


Motherhood

I am pregnant. Am I considered a mother now? I have to pinch myself!!! A part of me never thought I'd get to write these words.

So this Mother's day I have nothing but love and admiration to all the mothers out there. I hope today you take time to appreciate yourself because you are strong and beautiful. Treat yourself and cherish your blessings! 

And if you are currently suffering from infertility, I am praying for you. Please don't lose hope. We have a loving God who sees your pain and struggles. And believe it or not, these trials are God's goodness to equip you for being the best mother you are meant to be.

Happy Mother's day everyone! :)

Please keep on praying for me! :)

Love,
Judy


Kindly watch the video below to see a glimpse of our IVF journey! :)

DISCLAIMER: 
Watch until 9:21 only! I edited this vlog while I'm 4 months pregnant so I forgot to fix the ending part :( BLAME THE PREGNANCY BRAIN! HAHA!










Comments

  1. Lovely post. It provide such a nice detail about IVF treatments, reach my blog the Best IVF Centre In Punjab and get more useful information about IVF.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts