Our First Prepared Childbirth Class. Is it worth it?

Last Saturday, July 6, 2019, Mark and I attended the prepared childbirth class of Ms. Chiqui Brosas-Hahn.


Chiqui is an experienced childbirth educator and birth coach since 1990 and a breastfeeding advocate since 1997. She received her certification from the American Academy of Husband Coached Childbirth or the Bradley Method in 1997. She attended birthing and breastfeeding conventions with ICEA (International Childbirth Education Association) & LLL (La Leche League) in the USA. 

With her credentials alone, you will surely be impressed, but wait till you hear her background as a mother.


She has five kids whom she delivered unmedicated and all via normal vaginal birth! What a super mom! 

WHY WE DECIDED TO ENROLL?


"Better be ready than sorry!", that was my mindset when I got pregnant. 


I've been through a lot with my IVF journey so might as well push myself to be more engaged in this pregnancy. I knew that a birthing class will help me get a clearer grasp of what will happen on delivery day and it will also help me eliminate any doubts I have. As a first time mom, I honestly can't help but get "praning" whenever I think about giving birth. The joy and the horror stories about childbirth sure is overwhelming! So I definitely need an expert to educate me with tools I would need while pregnant and during labor.  


In the class, Chiqui clearly explained what pregnant moms are going through. The first trimester hardships, the emotional rollercoaster, the weight gain and many more. 


She discussed about the signs of labor, it's phases and stages. It was very informative! I never thought giving birth takes a lot of time and effort. Some moms even labored for almost two days! Can you believe it!? Kasi diba sa movies naman, mag-pupush lang yung mom then voila, the baby is out! Hindi pala ganon in real life! HAHA! 

Being an advocate of an all natural, unmedicated birth, Chiqui informed us about the dangers of drugs and anesthesia. She also discussed about cesarean delivery. All of us in the class wants to have a normal delivery but Chiqui reminded us that every birth is different. That in the end whatever our choice is, the baby's safety should be the number one priority.

My favorite part would be the session when Chiqui taught us about proper breathing and pushing, positions in labor and MASSAGES! 

Ahhh the massage part was definitely the highlight of my day! HAHA! 


Chiqui taught our husbands how to massage during contractions. It was actually a nice and kilig moment to see hands-on, soon-to-be dads willing to be there for their wives during labor. Mark and I were laughing the whole time! I am happy I was able to drag Mark into this class. HAHA!  In all fairness to him, he did his best that day. He was involved and very game to participate and I'm very grateful to him for that.

Is the class worth it?

YES!!!

Being pregnant made me realize that I am not control of anything.

Through Chiqui's class, Mark and I gained enough confidence for the big day. No one can be fully ready for it but at least we are not clueless on what will happen that day. Because of this class we knew what to expect during the whole process and how to prepare for it.

Also, after attending the class, we understand the importance of the partnership of the mom and dad to be. That the mom can achieve a calmer and successful delivery if her husband is beside her throughout the whole process. The class provided us with a certificate of attendance that is honored by hospitals. This will allow Mark entry to labor and delivery rooms on D-day.



Planning to enroll? Click the link below! 

Deuteronomy 31:6

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” 

Happy pregnancy!

Love and prayers,
Judy :)


Comments

Popular Posts